1. How did you start your journey into a bricks & mortar bookstore?
I began by resurrecting and researching an idea that had been brewing in my mind for many years: a mobile used bookshop. In time, and with a lot of work, the book mobile became a reality. I enjoyed connecting with readers, but realized I was leaving them behind when I traveled to other communities. That was the impetus to open a bookstore.
2. What was your motivation for owing a store?
To create a community space where readers can gather, creating a literary hub for the neighborhood
3. Will your book van still be touring at some point?
No, the van was decommissioned just after the store opened – a side effect of the pandemic
4. What is your view of print versus digital books?
There will always be room for both, and there are dedicated readers of both eBooks and tree books. Paper books (or tree books) are still a relaxing respite from screens which we desperately need. eBooks do not support independent bookstores, so I am a biased fan of tree books!
5. You are obviously a reader – do you have favorite genres? If so which ones?
I prefer contemporary fiction, and I especially like books with strong characters that tell a story that makes me FEEL something. A book that makes me cry gets extra points.
6. Do you have a special place to read?
Although I do have a very cushy corner of my sofa, I don’t get to sit there as often as I’d like. So, I guess I don’t really have a favorite place to read. I am on the move a lot and one thing I love is that my books can adjust to wherever I am and make any place I sit down cozy and satisfying.
7. Which book began your reading journey as a child?
The Ringmaster’s Secret by Carolyn Keene
8. What are your plans for the future of the store?
To develop a strong community and always make newcomers curious about their next great read. I have many ideas about future plans, but you’ll have to stay tuned to find out what’s happening next!
9. What makes the Daisy Chain Co unique?
No two indie bookstores are the same, they each reflect the passions and character of its owner. DCBC is very much like me, so it’s hard to answer that without talking about myself. I guess you’d have to ask someone in our reading community this question!
10. Can you tell us about the programs and events you offer?
It’s best to go to our calendar for all the current events.
11. How can book lovers find you?
Social media, website, Google, and walking by. Address: 12525 102 Ave, Edmonton, AB T5N 0M4
12. Is there a message you would like to relay about the store?
Choosing to support your local indie bookstore keeps your community vibrant. I would encourage readers to cease the “Add to Cart” habit and instead choose to get books from a local bookstore that is dedicated to your community and cares about you. There is nothing quite as magical as an indie bookstore, and if we want to keep them around, we have to be supporting them. I am so grateful for the remarkable readers who support us!
Connect with Daisy Chain: