Until 31st July you can grab many of my books from Smashwords at a sale price.
As you well know I write in multiple genres, so how do you choose which one to read? There are several options on where you can research a book and decide if it will engage you.
Local Bookstore Staff Picks
Friends and Family Recommendations
Purchase sites – compare reviews in the genre sections
As a last resort you can try:
Best Sellers, Prize Winners or Best Books Ever Lists – just remember these can merely succeed on an authors name, or through a massive advertising campaign. I know I was extremely disappointed in one ‘famous author’ book, which was badly edited because it was rushed into production.
Here are a few other things to think about. It maybe that there are certain writing styles that appeal to you or you find more enjoyable to read. These can be due to:
- Pacing: How quickly does the narrative move? Is it a page-turner or is it a slow burn?
- Characterization: Do you become engaged with the characters?
- Story line: What is the orientation of the plot – character-driven, action-oriented, complex, fantastical or inspirational?
- Frame and Tone: What is the mood of the book – heartwarming, thrilling, quirky, or dark?
- Style: What is the author’s writing style – descriptive, expository, persuasive, narrative, technical or poetic.
How do you choose a book to read?
Do you have a ‘favorite’ genre? What draws you to it?