I will take no argument – if you can possibly make it to the Arts in the Plaza today, please do. It is a free event and there is original work by authors, artists, potters, weavers – well you get the idea!
Today’s event is in conjunction with Strathcona Celebrates so there is lots of activities for everyone. A free pancake breakfast is a great way to start the day. Here’s the link : http://www.strathcona.ca/strathcona-celebrates.aspx
Pancake breakfast 8 a.m. – 11 a.m. Community Centre (401 Festival Lane)
- Free pancake breakfast supported by Canadian Progress Club, Sherwood Park
- Free family activities
- Verve Salon & Spa Ltd. will help you show your pride at their hair zone
- Stage entertainment from Cooper Pump Record Studios Inc. – stage schedule
- “Strathcona’s pioneering spirit at 10 a.m.”
Official Key to the County Ceremony followed by Roll Past and Parade In front of County Hall (2001 Sherwood Drive)
Welcoming Tea 12:30 p.m. – 1:30 p.m. In front of County Hall (2001 Sherwood Drive)
- Enjoy free refreshments and cookies
- Entertainment provided by Crescendo Music Studios
Strathcona Mounted Troop Musical Ride 1:30 p.m. – 2:30 p.m. Former Archbishop Jordan Catholic High School (160 Festival Way)
The Mounted Troop is reminiscent of Lord Strathcona’s Horse in the 1920s and 1930s. The 20-horse, 25-member Troop performs the Musical Ride. The ride is drawn from the Regiment’s traditions of the 1920s and 1930s.
Celebration continues with free activities for everyone 12:30 p.m. – 3:30 p.m. The former Archbishop Jordan Catholic High School (160 Festival Way)
- Exhibition of both modern and antique military vehicles and meet the troops (Festival Way in front of Elk Island Catholic School Board)
- Military activities by Navy League of Canada, 2551 PPCLI Army Cadets
- Agricultural opportunities by Green Hectares
- Aboriginal activities and performances
- Experience life 120 years ago in Strathcona County by Ukrainian Cultural Heritage Village and City of Fort Saskatchewan
- Family activities by Strathcona County Museum and Education Station
- Stage entertainment provided by Crescendo Music Studios
- Face painting and much more
Please note: zipline and inflatables will close between 1:30 p.m. – 2:30 p.m. for the Military Musical Ride.
Miok-McCormack Memorial Unveiling 4 p.m. Festival Place (100 Festival Way)
Official military unveiling ceremony for The Miok-McCormack Memorial located in Broadmoor Lake Park. This memorial is dedicated to the memory of two Sherwood Park soldiers killed in Afghanistan in 2009. This is a community event and everyone is welcome to attend.
6 p.m. – 11 p.m. (Movie starts at 9 p.m.) Former Archbishop Jordan Catholic High School (160 Festival Way). Also includes free family activities from 6 p.m. – 9 p.m. Click here for more details.
Food Services 12:30 p.m. – 3:30 p.m. & 6 p.m. – 11 p.m. Former Archbishop Jordan Catholic High School (160 Festival Way)
Enjoy great food and refreshing drinks from
- Royal Treats
- Funky Pickle
- Uncle Milts Old Fashioned Rootbeer