If you could pack up and leave on vacation today, where would you be off to?
Considering we are in the depths of a freezing winter here in Alberta, anywhere would appeal to it’s inhabitants, that is warmer than -24!
However, it is no secret I have a favorite place, besides ‘home’ – England, that I would happily live. That place is Rome. It is an enthralling mixture of ancient and modern. Daily life is relaxed, the food and wine delicious and that golden Italian light is magical. The countryside with its winding roads, so like England and the iconic trees, vineyards and terracotta roofed buildings draw me to them. My screen saver at work is a view across the Tuscan countryside. Maybe, I was Italian in a past life and that is the reason I have an affinity with Italy.
I traveled to Florence, Rome and Venice many moons ago and Rome resonated within my soul so deeply I have always been pining to go back. I will go back someday, it is on my bucket list.
I am pleased to announce I completed the two beta-read & editing assignments given to me and both authors were happy with the feedback. One will require me to re-read once certain details are confirmed for legal consistency and correctness.
Another project – ghost writing – is proceeding well and I am waiting on some input from the client.
As for personal projects I made progress on my reincarnation romance, The Twesome Loop this past week and the word count is over 80K – so that makes me happy. There is still some polishing to do. A surprise road trip with my dear friend Linda this weekend will give me uninterrupted writing time to do this. Love when we can escape on a whim! I had to plead for a rain check with another friend for a proposed meeting this Saturday but she was accommodating. Thank you Kathie.
The new book cover for my fantasy romance, The Rython Kingdom is in the hands of my publisher and should be ‘live’ in the next couple of weeks. All in all I am happy with my progress and writing life.
How are your projects progressing? Care to share?
I am really enjoying this book – it doesn’t give up it’s secrets quickly that’s for sure.
What are you reading?
Do you review books on Goodreads? Why not follow me for my reviews and books just click the link on the side of the page.
“You never have to change anything you got up in the middle of the night to write.”Saul Bellow
So is this true? How about you?
I know I have ‘dreamed’ scenes or story ideas but always improve on them when awake.
I will also be escaping to the mountains for three days with my dear friend, Linda – to write, explore and enjoy the wilderness and to meet up with the coordinator of the Jasper Community Habitat for the Arts. This facility will officially open in July, it is a wonderful center.
Other events on the list are two concerts – one at Spark Gallery with Sarah Smith and the other a classical concert with the Wye String Ensemble.
So all in all a wonderful week of arts, culture and writing – perfect if I don’t say so myself.
As I said this subject required a second post. So for those of you yearning to travel the globe but still earn some income, here are the other options open to you.
11. This option depends on your personality and if you are willing to put in a few months research. Affiliate Marketing may be the source of income to give you your freedom.
12. Another option is selling goods online. These can be your own crafts where you set up a website or shop on a online sales outlet. There is a good deal of marketing that is required but it can work.
13. Day-Trading is another option that requires research and knowledge on the markets but again can be maintained remotely.
14. An ultimate job is to be allowed the option to work remotely thereby giving you freedom to work anywhere while still receiving a good salary.
15. Why not look after someone’s home when they are away? It can be a couple of weeks, months or even years dependent on the location and type of home.
16. Teaching is not limited to languages, how about dance classes, or yoga, or tutoring another subject as well as musical instruments.
17. For those of you with an artistic or creative personality, try joining an international traveling show, such a circus, music band, theater group or dance show.
18. If you are multilingual becoming am interpreter or translator is another way to utilize your skills to travel.
19. This is not for everyone, but online poker can reap rewards as long as you are good at the game. Remember that not all locations allow online gambling (United States) so check before you play.
20. If you are good with children there is the option of employment as an au pair.
21. If you have great skills in photography sell your images online. People love photos of exotic locations and images of life abroad.
22. Why not sell your art and crafts at local markets? There is a wealth of tourists wanting souvenirs. There are many market circuits to follow.
23. With an artistic talent there is always busking – you can dance, juggle, play an instrument or sing. Just check the legalities first.
24. Voluntary Service Overseas (VSO) – although you will not be paid you will have room and board and travel. You can do good while exploring the world.
25. Peace Corps is an option but remember it is a two-year commitment. You will receive a housing and living allowance, student loan assistance and full medical and dental coverage. Working in third world locations assisting with health, agriculture and environment issues.
26. WWOOF is World Wide Organization of Organic Farms – you work 4-6 hours a day in exchange for food and housing with a host family.
What other skills or jobs do you know of that allow you to travel?
The freedom to travel the globe while making money to live on (or barter for accommodation & food) can be a pipe dream for many of us. However, the question many of us ask is “how do you do that?” The list is actually longer than I expected so this post will also have a part two!
1. The most easily utilized skill is to teach English. Many places do not need you to have a teaching degree/qualification to teach, just so it is your native language. Areas looking for teachers include but are not limited to Thailand, Japan and South Korea. However, other languages are in demand such as Spanish, German, Italian, French, Arabic and Mandarin to name a few. 2. If you are a natural sales person try selling time shares in Thailand, Mexico, Greece or the Caribbean. 3. The largest job market is resorts and hotels are there is a whole subsection of opportunity:
a) Work in a resort where a variety of positions are open to you. Front desk, entertainment host, bar work or restaurant worker.
b) A little known job is editing English signs and menus – we have all seen the mistakes while abroad.
c) If your skills include beauty and hair you can offer your services to hostel guests or approach resorts that do not have these services.
d) As above you can also offer massages.
e) Another unskilled opportunity is a surfing instructor (as long as you are better than the clients)
f) This job does need certification though – scuba diving instructor. With your qualification you can teach around the world. Places such as Mexico, Australia, Hawaii, Egypt, and Thailand.
g) Again you will need to be accredited but a skiing instructor can travel extensively and follow the snow!
h) If you find a place you would like to stay in for a while, why not sign up to be a tour escort? Although the pay is low you will gain great experience. 4. Rather than constantly traveling you can work in the travel and tourism industry and find that perfect place while getting a regular paycheck. 5. Why not get a free bed in exchange for some cleaning, cooking or reception duties? Hostels are a great way to exchange or barter for a bed and food. 6. Freelancing online gives many people the ultimate freedom. Whether you are an expert in travel writing, consulting, legal work, website development or other skills that allow you to work remotely, this is a great source of income. 7. The other online opportunity open to many is blogging, it can be travel related but does not need to be. As long as you can earn an income from your blog. 8. Have you always wanted to be an actor? Well overseas movie makers send out scouts to find extras – Mumbai and Kenya are two countries that do this. 9. Many countries offer working holiday visas allowing you to work and experience new places. France, Canada, New Zealand, Australia, Ireland and Singapore are among the countries you can apply to. 10. For backpackers and travelers a regular source of income is fruit-picking. You will be out in the sun, making friends and enjoying some nourishment.In Australia for instance you may be paid per kilo or get room and board.
Have you opted for any of these options? Why not share your experience?