Irrefutable – definition: that cannot be denied, refuted, or disproved
Some interesting irrefutable scientific facts:
1. It takes 8 minutes 17 seconds for light to travel from the Sun’s surface to the Earth.
2. The Earth spins at 1,000 mph but it travels through space at an incredible 67,000 mph.
3. Every year over one million earthquakes shake the Earth.
4. When Krakatoa erupted in 1883, its force was so great it could be heard 4,800 kilometres away in Australia.
5. The largest ever hailstone weighed over 1kg and fell in Bangladesh in 1986.
6. Every second around 100 lightning bolts strike the Earth.
7. If you could drive your car straight up you would arrive in space in just over an hour.
8. The Earth is 4.56 billion years old…the same age as the Moon and the Sun.
9. When a flea jumps, the rate of acceleration is 20 times that of the space shuttle during launch.
10. Micro-organisms have been brought back to life after being frozen in perma-frost for three million years.
11. The molecular structure of DNA was first determined by Watson and Crick in 1953.
12. The thermometer was invented in 1607 by Galileo.
13.The tallest tree ever was an Australian eucalyptus – In 1872 it was measured at 435 feet tall.
14. The wingspan of a Boeing 747 is longer than the Wright brother’s first flight.
15. An electric eel can produce a shock of up to 650 volts.
15. The earliest wine makers lived in Egypt around 2300 BC.
16. An individual blood cell takes about 60 seconds to make a complete circuit of the body.
17. The fastest speed a falling raindrop can hit you is 18 mph.
18. Koalas sleep an average of 22 hours a day, two hours more than the sloth.
19. One in every 2000 babies is born with a tooth.
20. Every hour the Universe expands by a billion miles in all directions.
21. The driest inhabited place in the world is Aswan, Egypt where the annual average rainfall is .02 inches.
22. The largest meteorite craters in the world are in Sudbury, Ontario, canada and in Vredefort, South Africa.
23. A dog’s sense of smell is 1,000 times more sensitive than a humans.
24. The mortality rate if bitten by a Black Mamba snake is over 95%.
What is your favorite scientific fact? Have you used any in your writing?