Holiday’s tend to reek havoc on our writing schedule with visitors or visiting, meal preparations, and traveling but with COVID restrictions in place, we need to find alternative ways to share the seasons celebrations. That is also true for our writing time. Here are a few tricks to help you continue writing throughout the festive season.
- Keep track of the number of words you write instead of how long you wrote.
- Set a reasonable word count goal in small pockets of time even if it is only 100 words at a time.
- Relax your normal rigorous writing timetable – take time to chill, enjoy and also use it to observe. There may be a ‘scene’ that could help your current work in progress. People watching is fun too.
- Wake up earlier (or stay up later) than usual to ensure that you spend some time writing. If you have the option utilize the guest room to ‘hide’ yourself for a while.
- Don’t feel guilty about not writing – we all need down time.
- Test out a scene with family or friends to get feedback.
- Connect with a supporter for encouragement.
- Create a writing plan around your activities.
Above all stay safe, stay well and write.